The more animals and birds come into my life the more in despair and pissed off I become of the human race. Today I received a phone call from the falconry where we left the little barn owl, they told me he didn't make it through the night.
If you remember, we took him there because i was concerned he wasn't using his legs to land - I was right to be concerned. He died of heavy metal poisoning - probably rat poison or lead shot from hunting contaminated/injured small mammals. Heavy metals affect the central nervous system, paralysis sets in and eventually whatever animal has eaten the poison (whether it be first or second hand poisoning) dies a slow death.
Please remember that its not just the rodents that get wiped out when poison is put down or animals/birds are injured and not killed and collected when shot, it has a knock on effect on the wildlife which hunt the rodents or small mammals.
Sorry we failed you little barn owl, but Im glad you got to spend your last days being cared for and not in a road side gutter.